A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 18 June 2018

Shell Covered Miniature Books.


After the experimental shell covered books that I made in Cornwall, I couldn't wait to visit our beaches here in Eastbourne to find shells for some further trials


There are plenty of these very sea worn shells mixed in with the pebbly beaches here,, so it was just a case of trying to find pairs that were a similar size and shape.


I don't have a suitable drill for making holes in the shells, so I have made a sort of fabric hinge to join the two halves together, and then I was able to stitch the paper pages into the hinge.


There are only about six pages in each tiny book, and apart from one, I have used watercolour paper, which I'm hoping to paint/draw into at some point. The 3rd image down shows pages cut from some painted/decorated papers that I already had.


The back of each book shows the hinge, and where the thread holding the pages in place has been stitched through to the outside, I have used some tiny wooden beads to decorate. Not sure where this idea is going yet, but it is always fun to come up with a new idea, and to play around with it, just to see where it might lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!