A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Brisons Veor part 2, and a trip to St. Ives


Lots of these shells with their middles missing were scattered about the beach, so I decided that I needed to use them in some way to place in one or more of my containers. I had printed some fabric using seaweed and acrylic paint, and I decided that this would make a good fabric middle for the shell rims. I also felt that a little bit of hand stitch added to the tiny pieces of fabric would be fun.




Once stitched, and fitted into the shells, I played around with the idea of making them into tiny covers for tiny books!


It was extremely fiddly, but I managed to stick some narrow tape between the two shells, forming not only a hinge, but somewhere to stitch the tiny pages for the tiny books, As you can see, I also made a second book using two whole shells.


I have propped the two books back to back, for the purpose of this photo, as they are supporting each other.


After our day trip to St. Ives, where we not only visited Tate St. Ives, but also spent a wonderful hour or so in the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden, I was inspired to play around with some Das air drying clay, which resulted in the two very, very small sculptures below.


Sculpture is the wrong word to use really, but I again incorporated a shell rim in the top image, fitting two smaller shells inside, and then the funny piece below, which has two holes, and has been decorated on the outside by dipping string in paint, and then pressing it into the surface.




I felt quite moved to see Barbara Hepworth's workshop, just as though she's popped out for a few minutes, and outside some large pieces of stone were just waiting for her to work her magic on.



So many wonderful pieces of her sculpture placed around the magical garden, but I have only included a small collection, mainly because it was very busy, with lots of visitors wandering along the paths, making it difficult to photograph without including strangers somewhere nearby!



Water features also give some wonderful reflections.





Always interesting to move around each piece, and to see how the view through the apertures changes as you travel.


The whole week was so full of inspiration, it is going to take me quite some time to digest it all, but hopefully it will also be supplying me with lots of ideas for future work. Part 3, and probably my final post about this trip will be coming up soon, so thanks for visiting yet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!