A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 5 July 2014

Summer Garden.


Just a short post today, mainly because this is the only new piece of work that I have to show. I'm having a bit of a 'fling' at the moment with moths and butterflies.  They are only very loosely based on any particular species, because I'm wanting to use printed fabrics, some of which I'm giving a quick wash over with white gesso. This gives the fabric a lovely crisp quality, which is good to free machine stitch into, and it also means that I can use my imagination with patterns and colours. I can still see the patterns through the paint, which is giving me shapes to follow, further inspiring my imagination and creative juices!

In the piece above, which measures approximately 30cm x 30cm, I've used a patchwork of printed fabrics, all painted with gesso, (some on the wrong side), and after filling in the background with the stitching and overlaying some areas with net to create areas of shade and light, I've appliqued the butterflies across the surface, and then added more colour with Karisma pencils.

I think I'll have to call this one 'Summer Garden'

2 comments:

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!