A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Experimenting for the sheer joy of it!






Texts and Emails Travel! 
A combination of brown paper treated with Markal oil sticks after a good deal of scrunching, and machine and hand stitch, on some rusted silk.


Boardwalk and The Parrog.
Rusted cotton, appliqued onto fruit and seed stained cotton, hand stitch and shading with coloured pencils.


Dreaming of Summer.
scraps of commercial cotton in varying shades of blue, cut into random shapes, appliqued down with smaller pieces appliqued randomly across the surface. Free machine quilted.


Summer.
Same technique as above, but in shades of red.


Appliqued pieces were made by embellishing scraps of sheer fabric together, and cutting them into random shapes before appliqueing them down onto white cotton. Free machine quilted, and coloured with inktense pencils.


An experiment, painting onto white cotton with coloured inks and acrylic paint, before outlining and drawing with inktense pencils.


Free machine quilted to embellish the surface, I may add more to this, it's an experimental piece, but a technique that I may decide to use again.


Finally, these beautiful flowers, (the photograph here doesn't do them justice), arrived for us on Saturday morning. They are from our daughter Emily in New Zealand, partly as a thank you for the place mats and Celtic Knot wall hanging I made for her and her partner's 30th birthday, but also because apparently, Sunday 7th October was 'Grandparents Day'. What lucky grandparents we are!
Thanks for looking in once again.

6 comments:

  1. You are working so hard. Nice results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ineke, I spend quite a lot of time with my creative hobbies, but it's so enjoyable, it doesn't feel like hard work!

      Delete
  2. Lovely experiments Cath. I particularly like the Boardwalk piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, I find I prefer to make things from memory, rather than photos etc., I think I get more interesting results, rather than slavishly trying to make an identical copy.

      Delete
  3. Cath, I really like the pears, infact I think they are stunning. Do MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Rowan

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!