A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 1 October 2012

The Blues and the Greens.


My JQ for October is called 'Blue Barn Beams'. I made a sketch of the beams at Potters Barn, home of Committed to Cloth in Betchworth Surrey. I love the different angles, and how they interact with each other. I used fuseFX ironed onto the surface of the background for texture, and then appliqued the beams and plant shapes. I outlined by machine couching down the knitting wool, and the blue lines at the top. The whole quilt is FMQ.


After making the eight place mats for my daughter's 30th, I then had to make the above wall hanging for her partner's 30th! He wanted Celtic knots in green, on a green background, with bits of red showing through. He chose the knot patterns, and the layout. That was the easy bit!!! I then had to choose the fabrics, make the patterns and put the whole thing together. It's not the sort of thing I normally do, and I did find it a challenge, but I have to say that I did enjoy making it. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a decent photo after I had finished all the quilting, I was in a hurry to get it finished and in the post to New Zealand, in time for his birthday. I did manage to get the close-up below of a section, and you can see the quilting there.


I used black bias tape for the centre of the knots in the top and bottom middle, and I hand painted the rope pattern on the middle section, before outlining it by machine couching down knitting wool. The green fabric that I bought for the four corner sections wasn't quite right, so I coloured them with a mixture of silk and acrylic paint. Ian is very pleased with it, so that was a relief, and I shall look forward to seeing it hanging in their home when we next speak by web cam. I also feel that I can now boast that I have pieces of my work in other parts of the world.......that always sounds so good on a website don't you think!!!?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, a world wide artist! I love this Cath. And the blue and green is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! Rowan. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pieces Cath. Definitely good to add 'world-wide' to your resume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, I'm just 'showing off' really!!

      Delete
  3. The celtic knots were a challenge - but you rose to it and won! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!