A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 27 October 2012

'Looking Down' on Carshalton Ponds.


This is what I've been working on this past week, my version of a birds eye view of Carshalton Ponds, with a flavour of  aboriginal art. I made a similar version a few months ago,  and it sold within a week of being in a local gallery, so this has been commissioned by someone who obviously saw it, and liked it. I hope they will approve of my latest version!

It's an interesting discovery that I've recently made, that whenever I think back to a place I know or have visited, I often see it in my minds eye from above, a 'birds eye view' I suppose. I wonder why this is, and do any of you readers ever do the same thing? 

Thanks once again for 'looking in', or should I say 'down'?

9 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful piece Cath and I can see how it leads on from your collages a few posts back. I am very interested in aerial views but can't say that I think about places in that way. I do like the work of the artist Matthew Lanyon who works with aerial views. You've given me something to think about.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I'm going to have a look at matthew Lanyon, someone I haven't heard of before, so thanks for that!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the commission Cath. I'm sure they will be delighted with this. Can't say that I think in aerial views but it is an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, maybe I was a bird in a previous existence, I always seem to be looking as if from above when I think about places I know or have visited!

      Delete
  3. I really like your work, thank you I have used you as an artist in my A level and have responded to this piece to gather inspiration for my final piece! I was wondering where did you get inspiration for this work and come up with the idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bethany, sorry for such a late reply, I've only just seen your comment. This is inspired by the local village ponds where I live, and when I try to remember a place I know, I always see it from a 'Bird's Eye View', looking down.

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely piece of work! Has it ever occurred to you that it is similar to hunterwasser's work?
    from the internet fairy**(:xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I love Hundertwasser's work, but I hadn't realised that this piece was possibly similar, but now you mention it, I agree there does seem to be something of his influence there.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!