A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 30 September 2018

New Techniques for Illusion and Myth!



A new technique from Design Matters TV, which 
Linda Kemshall demonstrated using extra strong PVA glue. A drawing is made by extruding the glue from a needle nosed bottle. Once dry, watercolour or acrylic paint or ink is washed over the surface. I decided to use an image by Hundertwasser for my experimental piece.



After my first attempt, I wondered if I could draw by using some black acrylic paint in the bottle. It seems to have worked, but I just need to add some colour now.


My Tuesday Sketchbook Development class this term is titled Illusion and Myth. Not quite sure as yet where this will take me, but I'm wondering if I can use this technique in some way. On the above drawing, after using the glue and letting it dry, I experimented by going over it with an indigo coloured sharpie pen, after using watercolour and acrylic paint for the background.


Most of these experimental images are black and white photocopies from some of my original and previous artworks or photos. The above image is from a photo I took of my daughter one morning. The sun was shining through her kitchen window, and was creating an interesting image being reflected in another window across the room which looked out on to her garden. The background of  leafy trees and shrubs were all surrounding the reflection of her profile as she was about to pick up her morning cuppa. I used a variety of green sharpies to colour the glue outlines, and after painting the background I rubbed some gold lustre over the framed area.


Above another copy from an original sketch showing part of a shell on the beach, and below, a cropped section from a photo of some grasses and reeds. I left the glue uncoloured on this one, but drew with a black fine liner around the edges of the glue.


This last piece is another coloured black and white photocopy of a textile that I made some years ago, inspired by a nest containing two eggs. I have used the sharpie  pens again to add colour, but no glue on this one. However, I have started to add some detail with a white pen, going over the details I could see through the coloured pen from the original textile.


I love experimenting with new techniques, and when I can actually go back and make use of photos or pieces of artwork from my stash, it helps to convince me that it's worth hanging on to stuff after all! Good excuse eh!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!