A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Rust, Peeling Paint and the Beauty in That!


Above and below, the two pieces I've been working on, and which are now finished. Textile and mixed media, including, dyed, printed, stenciled, painted fabrics, plastic netting, cording, free machine stitching and machine embroidery, and fabric crayon.


Below, a selection of the photographs that I took in Dungeness a couple of years ago. I have abstracted the colours, shapes and textures from the derelict fishing huts to build up the compositions for the two pieces. I particularly like the contrast of the hard, rusty metal winches and rigid plastic bait boxes, with the soft draping  folds of the fishing nets and ropes. The textures and softer colours of the peeling paint from the rotting wood has also informed some of the background shapes and marks.






4 comments:

  1. I really like both of these pieces. Thanks too for showing the inspiration photos, they are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing are they? Who would have thought you could make something so gorgeous from well junk I guess??? Hope you know what I mean Cath, I am not being rude. You are amazing, just like Maggi B, you both can turn anything that is nothing into SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that place and really like the inspired piece-I took similar photos but so far have only good intentions to show for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!