A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 14 October 2013

Colours, Shapes and Textures of Dungeness.



In my last post I showed the beginnings of the above piece. It's almost unrecognizable now, and I'm wondering if I've overworked it. I've definitely changed it drastically, but it just wasn't what I was trying to achieve before! The colours were too bright, so I've sprayed it with acrylic paint, and added netting and cording, lots of free motion stitch and machine embroidery. The insides of some of the derelict fisherman's sheds at Dungeness were absolutely full of old nets, plastic trays, ropes, rusty winches, planks of rotting wood where the sides of the sheds were collapsing, and plenty of contrasting shadows and shafts of light pouring in from where the windows used to be!



This is a second attempt, not finished yet, but my aim for this piece is that 'Less is More'......ha ha ha!

Goodness, two posts in one week.....that must be a first!


2 comments:

  1. I love the way that you have captured the shaft of light in the first piece. I don't think it's overworked even though it may not have been as you had originally envisiged. I just love the colours in the second piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, I've worked some more on both of them today, so will update on here later.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!