A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Getting the most from my sketchbook.




Experimenting with my phone camera, I was trying to isolate smaller areas from some images in my sketchbook. I then decided it might be fun to see what results I could get from playing around with the effects button. This is what happened when I tried the 'negative' effect! In my opinion, a rather 'positive' outcome! Either a stormy scene, or a night time image.....or maybe a sea fog rolling in!



The same experiment on this image, which is a section from the sketchbook page below. This was also part of an experiment in itself. I had previously cut random shapes from a magazine, stuck them down onto some A4 paper, coloured in the area of white paper around the shapes, turned over the paper, cut it up and then re-stuck the sections into my sketchbook. This particular fragment caught my eye, and I have in fact made a small textile piece from it. I decided to use it as the inspiration for one of my journal quilts later in the year, so cannot show it just yet.



You may recognise the section from the sketch above which I used to make my June journal quilt.See my previous post below, but again, the negative effect has totally changed the mood of the sketch.


Sketchbook page with experimental work.


Section of a watercolour sketch which I may use for a textile piece.


Negative effect of a feather print I tried using bleach over watercolour paint in my sketchbook.


A small section of a watercolour wax crayon sketch I made of trees and flowers.


Another very small section from a watercolour crayon sketch, and changed with the use of the negative effect again. I like the texture that 'zooming in' has given it.

It seems to me that there is still more mileage to be had in what I produce in my sketchbook, thanks to the technology available in my modest little phone camera. Lots of fun, and even more inspiration for future work.

Wishing you all lots of fun too in your creativity, and thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

  1. Angela (KAIROS)21 June 2012 at 09:07

    Brilliant Cath. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I was feeling too lazy to do much, but I really enjoyed experimenting like this. x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your sketchbook with us Cath. The effects that you have used have really changed the images and, as you say, provided you with plenty of mileage for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and inspirational Cath. Your work is breathtaking I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, Thanks Irene, your positive comments are very welcome!

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!