A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 24 June 2012

My five minutes of fame!!


Please excuse me if I blow my own trumpet! Members of Contemporary Quilt, part of  The Quilters' Guild of the British Isles have taken part in the challenge organised by EQA, to make a quilt that celebrates Diversity in Britain today. 60 little 8" squares were needed to make up this quilt, which is now on display until the 1st September 2012 at the Quilt Museum in York, England. Popular Patchwork magazine have run a three page article about this quilt, and you can imagine my delight when I opened the pages to see not only the whole quilt, but a lovely large photo of my little square! You can see it above, and the whole quilt below. There are some really imaginative little squares in this quilt, and I am hoping to make a visit to York later in the year to see the quilt before the exhibition finishes, and, of course, the quilts chosen by the other participating countries.


Below I've posted three more pics of the 'Reflections' quilt I started to work on a few weeks back. I didn't feel that it was going well, so put it away for a bit. Today I decided to add some more stitching around the couched down wool that I'd added, and I feel that at last it may have a future! Each panel is a sheet of 100% rag paper, painted with silk paints, and I do like the effect of using paper instead of cloth. I've decided to stop trying to make it look like the photo of the reflection, and to allow my creative instinct to take over instead. I wonder where it will lead me?





Thanks for taking the time to read this far, and enjoy whatever it is that you are creating! (As long as it's not havoc of course)! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations, that's an honor!
    i love the "Reflections".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ineke, I agree, it does feel like an honour!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Cath. Love the 'Reflections'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    I love the reflections and I am intrigued to read about couching wool on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tessa, when I couch down knitting wool, I use the zig zag stitch on my machine, drop the feed dogs, and then guide the needle over the wool to follow whatever line I want to follow. It takes time, but it's a technique I really enjoy using.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!