A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday, 19 September 2010

Lamination Blues!

My second attempt at paper lamination. This time I hand painted ovals, circles and spirals onto the surface of the organza. When finished, I layered the organza over some cotton fabric that I had started to cover with blue scraps and green leaf shapes. It was a piece that I had started, but that wasn't going well. As a backdrop for the paper laminated organza though, it was perfect. I have machine quilted around the circles and spirals etc, and also added some hand stitching in some of these shapes. I may do more, as they are beginning to take on a rather pleasing 'fossilised' appearance!

Saturday, 11 September 2010

Paper and Metal Leaf Lamination with DVD BPMLL

Paper Lamination.....a first attempt.

I had another really good session yesterday at "Wet n Wild", with Claire and Leslie. We did Paper Lamination, something I've not attempted before, but found extremely interesting and something I'm sure I'll be doing more of. I only had a copy of the Evening Standard, but managed to find a few coloured pages, (mainly adds) to use, and after working on it today have produced what you see here. The process involves laying down sheets of coloured newsprint, covering it with polyester or silk organza, printing or brushing liquid acrylic medium....(a bit like pva, although this is NOT reccommended) over the surface and then leaving it to dry. The piece is then heat set for a few minutes with a hot iron and plunged into cold water for five minutes after which all the unpainted/printed newsprint will come away when gently scrubbed. This was what I was left with at the end of yesterday, but today decided to experiment further. I cut my piece in half, put black cotton fabric behind one piece and white behind the second. I've then free machine quilted around all the remaining newsprint in matching coloured thread. Interesting results, but lots more ideas are beginning to form in my mind, so I'm sure I'll be doing more of this. Left is a small close-up of part of the organza on black cotton.

Friday, 3 September 2010

September Journal Quilt.

I took this  photo (bottom one) about a year ago, it looked like an old log with the bark stripped away. I love the texture and shapes formed by the ripples of wood.
I decided to make my September JQ in the style of this log, and washed a piece of calico so that when it was dry, it became all crumpled. I pinched small pleats randomly along the surface and machine stitched them in. When there were enough of these, I pulled it out as flat as possible without losing the crumpled texture, placed it onto some wadding and then free motion stitched circles of varying sizes in between the pleats. I also threaded my bobbin with some variegated perle embroidery thread, and free machined from the reverse to give more texture. I mixed up some watercolour paint and daubed this onto the surface in some areas to vary the colour. The quiltlet is bound with cream sari silk ribbon that I've al;lowed to fray.