A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Friday 3 September 2010

September Journal Quilt.

I took this  photo (bottom one) about a year ago, it looked like an old log with the bark stripped away. I love the texture and shapes formed by the ripples of wood.
I decided to make my September JQ in the style of this log, and washed a piece of calico so that when it was dry, it became all crumpled. I pinched small pleats randomly along the surface and machine stitched them in. When there were enough of these, I pulled it out as flat as possible without losing the crumpled texture, placed it onto some wadding and then free motion stitched circles of varying sizes in between the pleats. I also threaded my bobbin with some variegated perle embroidery thread, and free machined from the reverse to give more texture. I mixed up some watercolour paint and daubed this onto the surface in some areas to vary the colour. The quiltlet is bound with cream sari silk ribbon that I've al;lowed to fray.


4 comments:

  1. I really like this Cath! Well done. Even looks like the colouring is the same.
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cath, What amazing texture/colour you have managed to create. You are so clever!! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Caz, thanks Ros,

    I think my next three JQ's will have to be inspired by nature in some way too, I've got plenty of photos to work from, so no excuses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic and so well exlpained that I might try this out my self.

    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!