A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Harbour Lights for my August JQ




If you look back to my post of the 20th July, you will see a piece of breakdown printed fabric that I had also embellished with spots of acrylic paint. Well, I decided to use this for this months JQ, after taking some photos of reflected harbour lights in Goodwick, near Fishguard last week. My piece of fabric reminded me of the sea at dusk, so all I had to do was to add the effect of the lights on the water. This JQ also needed some text, one of the criteria for the four quiltlets from June to September. I just added the word 'Light', and hand stitched in pale yellow thread, and added some yellow wax crayon for highlights. To finish, I machine quilted the ripples in silver, two shades of blue. I have put a photo below of the inspiration for this piece, and as you can see, it's not a direct copy, more of an impression!


The harbour at dusk in Goodwick.

5 comments:

  1. I really like this Cath. It really excites me :-) I must have missed it the first time you posted the deconstructed printing but you have created a very interesting surface, so much going on! Are you going to FOQ? I'll maybe see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous interpretation Cath. I really want to touch this one, it has such depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you have made the word light work Cath. Your work just gets better and better and better!!!! Ro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ladies, it's always lovely to receive such positive feedback.

    I'm hoping to go to the FOQ's on one of the days Julie, but not sure yet which day. I'll keep an eye out for you though, maybe around the CQ stand.

    Seems I can't even make a comment on my own blog now, it will have to go on as anonymous!!

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this piece.x what is FOQ? ( hope l am not stupid here?Ha) Thanks for visiting my daily photo blog. (http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com is my Art/fabric blog) Fancy meeting up for a coffee..l live in Putney and will travel!x
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!