A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 24 July 2011

A bit of mixed media and photography!

 This is a bit of an experiment in mixed media, which started off as a black and white photocopy of a watercolour painting I did a couple of years ago. I folded the copy in half, and used the top half during a day spent with some friends from the KAIROS group I belong to. I didn't have a particular idea of what I was going to do, but just played around with odd bits of paper that I scrunched up, smoothed out, tore into rough leaf shapes and stitched onto the photocopy. I continued like this, also adding bits of sheer fabric, stitching or sticking the pieces down, and then drawing into some of them with a black pen and some crayons. Later, when I was at home, I decided to cover the whole sheet with some watery white paint. This gave the effect of a foggy day, and the leaf shapes took on the look of trees in the foreground. I cut up yet more bits of paper, this time in tall straight shapes to look a bit like buildings on the horizon.  I also added some scraps of lace which reminded me of clouds, and sketched a bit more with my black pen. It certainly isn't a great piece of art, but I enjoyed the spontaneous aspect of the process, and it was fun!


Finally, here are two photographs that I've taken with my phone! Just a point and shoot effort, but I'm very pleased with the results.

1 comment:

  1. A really interesting piece Cath. I like it a lot, especially as when enlarged there are so many different things to see. Love your bugs in the previous post by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!