A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 12 December 2010

December Journal Quilt





  
My Journal Quilt for December is called December in the City. It was inspired by watching gulls reflected in the windows of a high-rise office building, but unfortunately at the time I didn't have a camera with me. I new that I had taken some photos of reflections in high-rise offices, and also of some seagulls at the coast. I printed off a photo manipulated in Photo Shop, cut it up and laminated it onto some fabric that I had screen printed in dark green. The gulls were cut from a used colour catcher and bonded onto the surface before being machine stitched down. I hand stitched some areas for contrast, and machine embroidered other areas with metallic threads for a bit of seasonal bling!.I finished it off by cutting some Christmas tree shapes from scraps of fabric and appliqueing them along the bottom.

5 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by reflections and you have made great use of them in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cath, I love this month's Journal. Brilliant!!!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I'm thinking that I may make reflections my theme for next years JQ's. I'm also fascinated by the patterns and shapes that occur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for finishing the year with such a lovely JQ.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!