A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 19 December 2010

Flying in the fullness of the moon

This piece started out as a simple mono-print from the top left section of the paper lamination post, 'Taking BIG risks' on 16th October. Once dry, I fixed the fabric (a silk and cotton mix) into a large round embroidery hoop and painted the surface with an olive green silk paint. The result over the turquoise acrylic fabric paint gave a fabulous golden colour, with the painted areas looking almost like old gold. When I removed it from the hoop, I decided to paint all around the circular shape with a blue/turquoise silk paint, and then immediately decided that I'd created an image of a full moon.

Although I really liked the results, I knew that something else was needed to finish the piece. I thought about moths, I really love the patterns on their wings, and they are attracted, apparently to the moon! I tried out some moth silhouettes, but somehow they didn't seem right. I often find that ideas will come to me just as I'm about to drift off to sleep, and on this occasion, that is exactly what happened! Geese.....I would place geese flying in front of the moon. Straight black tends to deaden, so after a bit of experimentation, I bonded some fine black lutradur onto a black, infused with gold fabric to cut the 'geese in flight' shapes from. I am really pleased with the results, and am now considering further 'geese in flight' textile pieces.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece of work, Cath!!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Cath. I look forward to the series that this has inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Something to look forward to planning after the holiday. I always really enjoy getting back into the 'creative spirit' after the mad whirl that is Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!