A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 11 September 2010

Paper Lamination.....a first attempt.

I had another really good session yesterday at "Wet n Wild", with Claire and Leslie. We did Paper Lamination, something I've not attempted before, but found extremely interesting and something I'm sure I'll be doing more of. I only had a copy of the Evening Standard, but managed to find a few coloured pages, (mainly adds) to use, and after working on it today have produced what you see here. The process involves laying down sheets of coloured newsprint, covering it with polyester or silk organza, printing or brushing liquid acrylic medium....(a bit like pva, although this is NOT reccommended) over the surface and then leaving it to dry. The piece is then heat set for a few minutes with a hot iron and plunged into cold water for five minutes after which all the unpainted/printed newsprint will come away when gently scrubbed. This was what I was left with at the end of yesterday, but today decided to experiment further. I cut my piece in half, put black cotton fabric behind one piece and white behind the second. I've then free machine quilted around all the remaining newsprint in matching coloured thread. Interesting results, but lots more ideas are beginning to form in my mind, so I'm sure I'll be doing more of this. Left is a small close-up of part of the organza on black cotton.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely results. I made my first attempt t this this afternoon and it is now drying ready for ironing. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great Maggi, I will look forward to seeing your results

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!