A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 19 July 2010

Nature's own patterns!

I recently spent a day at Box Hill in Surrey, and as we went to sit on an old log to rest from the hot sun, we noticed these amazing patterns. Where the bark had fallen off it had exposed what had been going on underneath, surely the work of some beetle or other insect that had been burrowing beneath the bark. I just had to take some photos, because I'm sure I will be using these wonderful patterns created by nature to inspire some of my own stitch art.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Nature does so well at creating inspiration for us. Lovely place Box Hill, it was the last place I heard a skylark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature can be the best inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved you pictures of the bark beetles' work, Cath. I just finished re-reading Jane Austen's Emma and Box Hill is the setting for an important scene in the book.
    Cheers,
    Dana Fisher

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!