A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday, 25 July 2010

A busy day!

I've been feeling a bit uninspired recently, so decided to play around with some leftover bits and pieces and trials from other projects. No pressure to create a wonderful piece of art, but to simply enjoy playing! I jiggled the bits around on top of some wadding until I felt they made a pleasing arrangement, and then filled in the gaps with some hand dyed cottons and silk. I quilted all this down, then covered the joins with some black/purple knitting wool which I couched down by machine. Certainly not a great masterpiece, but I had fun, and it's given me an idea for a fure project!

I came across some fabric today that I had tray dyed, but wasn't particularly fond of. Some of it reminded me of Autumn trees against a blue sky, so I decided to cut this section out. Another section had lots of green, a very grassy green, so I cut this out too, turned it on it's side, and placed it below the first piece as a foreground. I also found some pinky, orangy brown cotton that I had hand dyed, and decided that this would look good as tree trunks in the foreground too. That's as far as I've got so far, but will continue to work on this as I feel it has promise.
I wish I'd taken a photo of the screen after I'd prepared it for this print. It was a "breakdown" screen, and to start I dropped lots and lots of elastic bands down onto a large piece of clingfilm. I placed the screen down on top, and then spooned petrol blue and golden yellow print paste into the well of the screen. I pulled the squeegee across the screen four or five times to make sure the paste had really penetrated through the mesh. I carefully pulled off the clingfilm, but left the elastic bands on the screen until the print paste had thoroughly dried. Once I'd removed the bands, I used uncoloured printe paste on the screen, because the dried paste gradually "broke down" as I printed onto the dried, pre-soda soaked cotton cloth. Each print has a slightly different depth of colour, but I'm quite pleased with the results, although I'm not sure yet what I'll use them for.