A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 3 April 2016

My Green Lady.


This is a photoshop manipulated photo of my daughter that I took early one morning while I was staying with her in New Zealand. 


The original one is below, and above are four more that I played around with, and have printed onto canvas, ready for stitch.


I will try to explain how I photographed this image. My daughter's shadow was against her kitchen wall, but was also being reflected in the patio doors leading into the garden. Through the doors is a fence, covered in leaves, so the reflected image of the shadow also allowed the leaves to show through! What a wonderful opportunity for an unusual photo. I wanted to enhance the greens and blues, hence the results from playing around in photoshop.



I went for a walk in our local Oak's Park this morning, and saw this small clump of bluebells. Now I could be wrong here, but to my mind these look like our native bluebells, rather than the more common Spanish variety that seem to grow everywhere these days. They were such an intense blue, and smaller, but just so beautiful, I had to photograph them.


Blossom above, and below, young leaves just beginning to sprout from their buds.



A very smart crow, and I loved the way the trunk on the tree below looked as though it had been folded like fabric.



I have subscribed to Linda and Laura Kemshalls DMTV for the year, and decided to try out Linda's challenge to make an altered book using the the theme of colour. I love blues and greens, and was trying to decide which one to choose, when I came across the poetry book below in a charity shop. My decision was made for me, so I have started with the obvious choice of leaves. Now I need to do my research into 'green', and hopefully come up with some more unusual ideas for the rest of the book.




Way before Christmas, I made this funny little folded book from one piece of A3 paper that I had covered in gestural painted marks. After folding it into this circular shape, I stitched some of the pages together and added some other small bits and pieces for extra interest.









It almost looks starlike from above, but seems to hold its shape well, and makes an interesting, small sculpture to sit on a shelf.


A bit of a mixture today, but I'm definitely going to be working further into my 'Green Lady' leafy canvas, and also hopefully into my altered book.

Thank you for giving my Blog your time, and I hope you've enjoyed reading it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!