A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 18 April 2011

Time to experiment

The first time I experimented with the paper lamination technique, was on the Wet n wild workshop run by Committed to Cloth. Well, it's one of those techniques which I have really taken to and enjoyed, and have attempted to play around with at home on a couple of occasions. I've written about it on a previous post. I'm enjoying some extra time at home, because the schools are now closed for the Easter break, so a good opportunity to experiment even more! With this piece, I decided to use the 'paper' side instead of the polyester sheer side. I decided that I wanted to doodle on the rough papery surface with a fine permanent black liner. I love pattern, and decided to let my imagination loose with some ancient Greek decoration. I sketched these across the surface, and then added some of my own doodles, before cutting back in a few areas to expose the colours of the backing fabric. Lots of quilting in some copper thread to outline some of these shapes came next, and then I also appliqued some old pieces of lace, and interesting fabric scraps to add more texture and patterning. I like the way that some of the newspaper text is still visible, albeit backs to front!! I have really enjoyed making this piece, and would be interested to hear any thoughts you may have about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting,it makes me think of old documents and would lend itself well to a memories heirloom type of piece that you could make using pieces of documents and textiles personal to a person or family. Don't quite understand how it works.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!