A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 16 October 2010

Working from photos/art work.

In 2005, I photographed this prickly pear  while holidaying on Madeira. I loved the shape of  the plant and all the detail on the individual sections as they grow around the edge of the main part. Later, at home I decided to make some sketches of  the cactus and finally the watercolour you see here.                                                                       
Five years on, I've used the watercolour to experiment with paper lamination. I photocopied the image in black and white, enlarged it and then laminated it onto some polyester organza.



I wondered if it would be possible to use watercolour paint on this laminated piece, and here are the results!




Having decided that I liked the effect of the colour, I have started to stitch into the piece. This is still in progress, but I will post a final image when I'm happy with the end result.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!