A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 31 January 2010

To frame, or not to frame!!! Sunday 31st January 2010

It seems that sales of my work at The Corner Gallery are going well, four pieces were sold yesterday. However, I have a dilemma.

Some of my work is more traditionally put together, three layers sandwiched together with batting, edges bound and the surface quilted. These wall quilts are for display, rather than for the bed or as a throw or lap quilt.

It seems though, that customers who have shown an interest in them would prefer them to be framed. In fact, one was sold yesterday ( see image above), but on the condition that the Gallery have it framed first! The additional cost doesn't seem to be a problem, but I just wonder if this is something I should consider doing in the future!

3 comments:

  1. Great to find you finally published. I think that some people don't have the vision to see an unframed piece as something in it's own right. Maybe you should show a couple of pieces frame and give that as an option for the other pieces, including the extra cost. Do they want them behind glass? It's always sad, in my opinion when you cant see/feel the texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, tough one that...I agree with Maggi, I think if it is a textile it should be left to be able to handle, behind glass, oh no, please don't, put it in a frame if you must folks, but no glass.....am sure that can be done.
    Personal preference in the end isn't it.
    Love your Blog and your Website is just amazing.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think it's a shame to put a quilt behind glass. The idea of a frame without glass could be the answer though! An oil painting is framed in this way, so why not textiles?
    Thanks for your comments Ladies!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!