A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 29 June 2016

When in doubt, CROP!



Still just experimenting and playing around with my Gelli printing. I go from paper to cloth and back again, but I've been trying out a few new techniques too.


A few close-ups of the first image,


Sometimes, I think cropping can give better results and a more pleasing composition.


I've been doing that quite a lot lately. It makes each piece a lot smaller obviously, but I quite like 'small'.


Above is a Gelli print on paper, and below I've photographed cropped areas that I may cut into.



I covered this particular piece of cartridge paper with white gesso first. You can see the texture quite clearly in the close-ups


The gesso also gives a good surface for scratching into for yet more texture, you can see where I've done that on the right.


I'm really into blue and a limey yellow green at the moment. 



This next group are also smaller pieces that I cut from a larger piece, I didn't particularly like. In fact it started out as a Gelli print that went wrong, so I covered it in gesso and then printed over the top, and you can see the thickness of the paint quite easily.




Below two more Gelli prints, which I have in fact since printed onto some canvas, but as yet I haven't added any stitching. I'm not really quite sure how or where to add any!




Oh well, as I said to my son the other day, I'm not really producing anything much to write home about at the moment, but I am creating a wonderful mess each time I attempt anything, and more importantly, having fun, I hope you are too!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!