A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 12 June 2016

Inspired by a visit to the Ballet.


On Thursday I spent three magical hours at The Albert Hall in London, for Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.


I was completely mesmerised, and cannot get the wonderful music out of my head. I decided to try and make a couple of sketches of the dancers from the programme, and made the above two using black biro onto some pre-prepared pages in my sketchbook. I find it less intimidating to sketch onto pages that have been painted or printed on beforehand. Pristine white paper can be so scarey, and as I haven't done much drawing of the human figure for a while, it helped me to have a more relaxed attitude.


Although I find it even more difficult to 'sketch' with my sewing machine, I also felt compelled to try and make a small textile piece. I found some Gelli prints I made some time ago on Abaca tissue paper, and a couple of them had a watery feel about them which was perfect for my interpretation of the Swan Lake. It's a little bit abstract, but I wanted to try and catch the mood of the ballet.




Funny how you can spot imperfections when you see your work in a different light. My dancer is by no means perfect, but I have really enjoyed making this piece, and I'm still humming the beautiful, and very moving music by Tchaikovsky. I think I will have to go and buy a CD now, then I can listen to my heart's content!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!