A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Friday 17 July 2015

Now you see them, now you don't!




As I mentioned in my last post, it was our anniversary a couple of weeks ago, and above is a little gift I made for my hubby of 45 years! I thought the heart fabric, (something I've had in my stash for years!), would be appropriate, so printed the leaf shape after giving the white background a wash of blue paint.


Seeing as I had rather a lot of the said, heart fabric, I decided to use it for my dyeing session, (also in my last post). Most of it in pinks and purples, with the odd splash of golden yellow showing through.


I've also been making some printing blocks out of sheets of kiddies play foam, above and below, and decided to use them for overprinting the dyed heart cloth.




The more elaborate blocks, like the fish and tree printed well, but didn't seem appropriate for what I wanted to achieve, so I stuck the more simple ovals, spirals and dashes.


Below is a close-up photo of how I used the dashes in blue acrylic paint to print over the purple hearts!! (crikey, that sounds a bit 60's!!)



I think I've almost obliterated the original dyed cloth, it was fun to experiment with my over printing, and to then embellish with stitch.


I did add an appliqued heart to one piece, as a gesture to acknowledge the design on the original fabric!


And this final photo shows my leaf block printed over a gelli print of a larger leaf.

Have a lovely weekend, wherever in the world you happen to be, and thanks for reading.



10 comments:

  1. Fabulous Cath as always. Love the way things seem to disappear and then peep through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela, you were quick off the mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the possibilities that kids foam presents. Such wonderful stuff for print blocks.

    Lots of lovely stuff going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hilary, I enjoyed reading your blog too, and I see you're also into the foam printing blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spirals,ovals and dashes and they have made a great stitched piece. Lovely depth in the final leaf print piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi, funny how the simpler shapes seem more successful!

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed by your foam prints I really want to try this on my Gelli plate. Happy anniversary Cath !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work really well with a gelli plate too Morag, and are so simple to make. Much nicer to make your own than to use commercial printing blocks. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!