A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 5 July 2015

Lavender, Maps and Anniversaries.



Bird's eye view of Lavender Fields. I've gone full circle with my map theme, and seem to have come back to this!


I had lots of trial pieces for my Lavender Fields triptych, (scroll down), so I've chopped them up and made a selection of cards.



                                                                                 

Finally, above is another experimental map piece, but it wasn't working so I put it aside.


Then today, I decided to paint it over with white gesso. The stitching was still visible, so I used a selection of paints, inktense pencils and permanent coloured felt pens to colour between the stitching. I added more stitch, and then as it was our 45th anniversary yesterday (sapphire), I couched a grid in blue knitting wool to create 45 equal squares, symbolising our 45 very colourful and happy years together for my July journal quilt.

On that 'cheesy' note I'll thank you for reading once again!














6 comments:

  1. I just love those ender pieces you crate Cath and your map pieces are so exciting, Isn't it funny that often our work takes us round in full circle. Its like a learning journey, we may go round but we always pick up knowledge on the way. I actually thought the map piece looked very exciting when you mentioned it didn't work for you. That is what counts. If you don't think it's doing what you want it is time for change. The results are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morag, I think I felt that the first map piece was still too much like the original, I had wanted it to inspire something, that didn't necessarily look like a map.

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary.
    I like teh cards and teh idea of maps. Are they in the Corner gallery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessa, the cards are in the gallery, and so is the bird's eye view of lavender fields. I love the work you have in there at the moment too.

      Delete
  3. I do like the lavender fire map and the cards are a great use of the samples. Congrats on your anniversary, the piece for the JQ works better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggi, I'm actually getting even more from my JQ which is good. All those little squares are inspiring me for my next 5 little quilts!

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!