A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Postcards

 
In chapter 5 of the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, she suggests that we send five postcards to friends or family. I decided it would be nice to send some that I'd made. 
 
 
 In my ufo box I found something that I'd spent quite a bit of time on, but couldn't decide what to do with! Nothing unusual there then!!

 
Anyway, I decided it was perfect for cutting up into 6"x4" pieces, mounting onto some pelmet vilene, and making into abstract cards.

 
They are really a mixture of hand and machine stitch, paper lamination, my own dyed and printed fabric, and paint.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Above is a different method, I have used a simple leaf print onto a black cotton background.

 
Over the weekend, I went for a walkonn our very brief, one day of spring, and took some photos. I've included the one above, because something about it reminds me of the first selection of postcards. I could almost say it was the inspiration for them, but it would be a big fib, as I constructed the cloth about 18 months ago!
 
 
Finally, my JQ for April. It will be the last on the theme of seedheads, and I've called this one De-frosted Seedheads. I sprayed, painted, and printed paint through stencils onto the calico background, and then painted on the seedheads with black gutta. I machine quilted around all of the seedheads, and then added the spiders web. I also ironed on some black bonding web to give a crackle effect.
 
I hope my postcards will be enjoyed by the friends I have sent them to, it felt good to do this, making a change from the quick text messages we seem to rely on these days!
 
Happy sewing, dyeing, or whatever other creative things you maybe doing this week.


7 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up odds and ends and experiments! Little postcards. I really ought to do that.

    And I love the JQ. I am already behind. I've still got to do March and April - hoping for some space to finish them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks H, I must have quite a few ufo's, because I also used some for book wraps for the book wrap gems! I don't throw anything away anymore these days!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely cards Cath. I like the way that something that doesn't make you happy as a larger piece can produce such good results when it's made smaller.
    Another great JQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Maggi, as I've said above, I don't throw anything out these days, and they always seem to come in handy for something or other. It's also good in a way, because then I feel free to experiment more, knowing that time and materials won't be wasted in the long run.

      Delete
  3. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THOSE POSTCARDS AND THE JQ IS GORGEOUS,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetypie. Now I need to start thinking about the next 4 JQ's.

      Delete
  4. hiya, cath ,thankyou for your comment- you must be a mind reader as that very song has been haunting me for days and I am currently considering ways of adding a pocket to my page- full of stars of course

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!