A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 27 April 2013

Horizons, and 'gone forever' faces!


The 'Horizons' challenge quilt for this years Contemporary Quilt exhibition really has given me a HUGE challenge!!!


These first four faces were going to be a part of my piece, painted onto the news print paper surface of some paper lamination.


However, I eventually decided that they weren't quite right, or rather, definitely not right for what I was doing so painted over them!!! So, they are now no more.


In the end, the lower part of my 50cm x 1.50cm quilt was all so wrong I ended up cutting it off. Lots of time and work had gone into it, but it had to be done. A learning curve, and I had enjoyed the processes, although I wish I hadn't painted over the above four faces. At least I still have the photos/


This final photo is a taster of just a small area of the quilt which is now almost finished. I'm still not sure what I feel about it, so will put it away for a couple of weeks to give my brain a visual rest. I've put quite a few hours of intense time and work into it, so  feel that I've built up some sort of immunity to it's impact. The words 'laboured' and 'heavy' come into my mind at the moment whenever I see it, which isn't good. The starting point was from a photo that I took a couple of years ago of Southwark Cathedral.

I will eventually show the whole finished article, but not until I've decided whether to enter it for the cqgb challenge. Watch this space later in the year.

I'm running late on my May journal quilt, so that is going to be my next project, plus a couple of pieces that I'm planning as gifts for my two sisters.

Happy stitching to anyone who has read this far, and thank you for 'looking in'.

8 comments:

  1. Hey mum
    I think you should definitely enter the challenge with your cathedral design. What have you got to loose!!!! And coming from someone who has only seen the finished product and has not gone through the journey you have as the artist I think its fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Thank you Emz, at least I've enjoyed making it. Xxx

      Delete
  2. Cath,
    those faces are really great. The first one reminded me of Dad when he pulled a face! And I also recon the cathedral looks very inspiring from that angle! cant wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny Row because I thought exactly the same. Everytime I look at it I see Dad and here him laugh!!

      Delete
  3. Cath, the cathedral looks great, can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caz, whether it gets juried in or not, I'll definitely post it onto here!

      Delete
  4. I was going to do a horizons quilt, but have ground to a halt.

    I still could, if I put my mind to it (perhaps I need to book a couple of days off work and just 'go for it'). Yours looks very interesting and I know Southwark Cathedral - so I have a soft spot for it without even seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I missed this post. I'm glad that you got your quilt done

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!