A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Friday 8 July 2011

More Moths!

 I seem to have a bit of an insect theme going on at the moment, but I have to admit that I do find them really interesting, especially visually with their gorgeously subtle colours and markings. I've been looking at moths wings again, and the patterning on their wings is just so wonderful, I think I may be heading for a 'moth series'!!

This piece above is also partly inspired by some cloth that I snow dyed last winter. Well, we did have rather a lot of the stuff, so I thought I'd have a go. I have just used the one piece on this occasion, and I've relied on some lines sketched in with a water soluble crayon, the edges softened with a wet paintbrush, and then mainly free motion machine stitching with some hand stitch, (seeding) to finish.

Below are some closeups of different areas.


2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Cath. Do you know the work of Annemeike Mein? She does amazing moths.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!