A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Tuesday 25 August 2015

A 'stitch free' magpie.



Another attempt to make an intaglio print from a mount board printing plate. I tried a few months ago, but wasn't particularly happy with the results, so decided to have another go today. If you look at the print below, it will give you an idea of how this one looked to begin with. However, I decided that this time, I would do a 'touching up' job, using the same printing ink, and I'm quite pleased with the result. I suppose that strictly speaking it isn't a 100% print anymore, but hey, artistic licence and all that, only thing is, I'm not quite sure how best to describe it! Maybe something like 'Embellished Print, or 'Hand finished Print' Any other suggestions would be gratefully received!




Above is the mount board plate, ready for inking up. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper into the card to make a deeper well for the ink. Oh well, I'm not going to give up this time, I'll be trying again very soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is very successful! I also think the muted version is beautiful too. I like the way the ink is patchy.. it adds to the piece I think. I have never tried this, it looks so much more difficult than lino printing, do you use the same tools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morag, thanks for your comments. I think this is easier than lino printing as it's basically a case of cutting into the top layer of some mount board with a craft knife/scalpel, and then peeling that top layer away. Once you've finished that, the whole surface is painted with a gloss medium to seal it, and then you go ahead and print. The gloss medium is quite thick and leaves brush marks behind which adds to the textural element. The ink is painted on, and wiped away from the top surface, leaving the ink in the cut away areas, more like intaglio.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!