A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 8 February 2015

Airy Skies and Valentine's Hearts


February's journal quilt, 'Soaring Seagulls'. I had started a larger piece for a challenge with Contemporary Quilt this year, but my sewing machine decided that free machine stitching through layers of tissue paper, cheesecloth and paint, adhered with matt medium to voile before being layered with a cotton background, was just a step too far! I had already managed to persevere and stitch an area that was large enough for this piece above, and maybe another small textile, but my poor machine was going to suffer, maybe to my detriment, so I decided to give up on it. Anyway, that is how February's jq came about, Below is the cloth, partly prepared and ready for the stitching, Oh well, we live and learn!


 Still keen on my original idea, I've prepared another piece of cloth, ready for those soaring seagulls. This time, just watered down acrylic paint on white cotton, I have masked out the gulls, and Have layered with the more traditional wadding and cotton backing, and have started to quilt the background. Still a long way to go, and I probably won't be showing any more pics now until it's finished. The theme is 'Elements', so hence the huge expanse of airy sky!






Valentine's Day approaching fast, so I have made some cards and a few small framed pieces for our local Corner Gallery. or look on their facebook page The Corner Gallery & Gifts




This one has a small ceramic heart that I have made and painted, and stuck down onto an embellished paper heart before stitching onto the machine embroidered background.

Thanks for dropping by and I hope you're having a good weekend, wherever you may be.




6 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your swan in real life the other day. Looking forward to seeing the seagulls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey Cath, no wonder your machine relented. I think I would going through that lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soaring seagulls indeed. They have such wonderful movement. Pity that your machine wasn't impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your replies everyone, I've now started another one, but using the more traditional quilt sandwich, and without the tissue paper, cheesecloth and glue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be much easier to sew Cath! Looking forward to seeing what you're making this time - you are so quick at making such beautiful things!

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!