A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 1 March 2010

cqgb March Journal Quilt

This is my March Journal Quilt for the cqgb. For the first four months I'm exploring texture, and I used the same technique for this as for the textile piece "Experimenting" on the 19th Feb. The only difference with this quilt, is that I stuffed some of the sections from a small cut in the felt backing before adding wadding and backing fabric. A bit like trapunto I suppose.

There is a small problem though, and that is because the needle punch machine has caused some of the fabric to become quite fragile, so that when I pushed the stuffing in, a couple of areas started to fray away at the edges. Something to consider if I use this technique again!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely piece Cath. It certainly is more dimensional than the previous piece. The fraying just adds more texture - make it a design feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous Cath....lovely and bright :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maggi and Angela, I do like experimenting, stops me from getting bored!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just gobsmacked at this. And you know me, I can chat for England. Stunning Cath.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!