A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday 14 August 2014

A mermaid for a water baby!


This is a small  wall hanging I have made for a friends little 2 year old daughter. She has just received her first  of five swimming badges, and her Mum wanted something that they could be stitched onto. As per usual, I photographed it, then added a few more details, but forgot to take another piccy! It's something I do quite often, but in this instance, it really was just a couple of very small areas that I added to. Below, you can see where I have placed blank paper circles, which is where the badges will go.


The little fish were fussy cut from some fishy fabric that I had in my stash, but all the other sea creatures, the turtle, snail, starfish, crab and seahorse were cut from my own drawings, as was the little mermaid. In fact the fabric I used for the mermaids tail, was a remnant that was left over from a real (pretend) mermaids tail that my daughter in law made for my grandaughter. These photos don't do the fabric justice really, as it is a gorgeous bright, shimmery turquoise, with a sort of texture that is just like fishy scales!

If my two grandsons decide they want something similar for their swimming badges, I will have to try and think of a 'boy' version....maybe some playful dolphins, or merboys!!!

Thanks for dropping by.

4 comments:

  1. That is lovely! How about Aquaman, should you need to make any for boys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Caz, thank you, I'll investigate that suggestion further!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea as a way to display those badges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some Mum's stitch them onto swim wear or towels, but this idea seems much better to me.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!