A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 20 February 2013

A 'date' at Kew Gardens


I had a 'date' at Kew Gardens on Monday, and I spent a wonderful day strolling around the brilliant exhibition of sculpture by David Nash. Above and below is one of the mounds he created from cork bark. I loved the way that the light changed it's colours and shadows as I walked around it, giving it a unique texture from the different angles.


One of the reasons I went on my 'date', to Kew, was to fulfil one of the weekly tasks that I've been invited to do as part of a workshop I'm taking part in. It's The Artists Way, by Julia Cameron, which she designed as a way to help those of us who want to get in touch with, or unblock our creativity. The twelve week course, requires that we take part in a two hour 'date' by ourselves each week. It can be anything that you wouldn't normally do by yourself, but which is fun, and often playful. I often do things or go places by myself, but this visit to Kew was something I had been wanting to do for a long time, and which I would normally do with a friend. As you can see from the photos, it was a gloriously sunny day, such a treat after all the grey skies of late.


Although I really loved Nash's large sculptures, I especially liked his smaller pieces that are on display in the Shirley Sherwood Gallery. He has been 'Artist in Residence' since last year, and has been studying the fruits, seeds, bark and even the cellular structure of wood whilst there. These studies have informed his smaller pieces too,  and some of them look so fragile and delicate, reminding me of sea shells.



Nash was also influenced by a piece of Aboriginal art from the Kew archives, and subsequently scorched parallel  lines into some of his smaller sculptures. The wall hanging below is so simple, but is one of my favourite pieces.


There are also some larger sculptures in the Temperate House, set amongst the wonderful foliage. I particularly liked the two spoon like piece below, which he has also 'scorched' to give it it's black appearance.



This was also a favourite of mine, half hidden behind large leaves, and reminded me of a giant tadpole, or water creature!


Of course, I also wandered through some of the giant glasshouses, and took plenty of photographs. I particularly enjoyed the wonderful reflections of the Victorian glasshouse structures, seen in the small pools.



I can't resist including this Prickly Pear, it's one of my favourites, probably because of the shapes it makes as it grows, with the fruits sprouting from around the edges. I have a textile piece that I still haven't finished, inspired by this wonderful plant.

I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Kew, and especially while the  David Nash exhibiton is there. Not for much longer though, it finishes on 14th April, so maybe you could also make a 'date' to visit this spring!

9 comments:

  1. wow, thanks so much for the lovely pictures.
    Looks like you had a grand Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerstin, yes I did, mustn't leave it so long before I go again!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos and very inspirational too. Haven't been to Kew in years - I must give it a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky that I live so near Irene, but I still don't seem to get there often enough. It's such a beautiful place to visit.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. I used to go there often when I lived in Kew and loved it in all seasons. Are you old enough to remember when it cost a penny to get in and there was outrage when it went up to 10p? What does it cost now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have vague memories of that Maggi, but as dad was in the army, we didn't live in London during my early childhood. As you can imagine, it's just a tad more than 10p now ha ha ha!!! I'm now a concession, so it was around the £12 mark, although, you can pay to become a 'friend', which is excellent value if you go there a few times a year. Once I'm retired, it will be something worth considering, it really is such a wonderful place.

      Delete
  4. I love Kew Gardens...go there often. Can you tell me who you are doing the Artists Way with or are you doing on your own? Love the images.x lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, so good to hear from you! I was thinking of you as the train went through Putney on the way to Kew. I'm doing the Artists Way with five other ladies, just completed our first week. Is it something you have done before too? I'll let you know how I get on when it's finished. xx

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!