A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 21 April 2012

Agonise and Accessorise


I've spent quite a few hours on a panel, part of which I'm showing here. I'm really agonising over it, and have decided to put it away for a time, because I just cannot seem to resolve what my next move should be. The inspiration for it is another one of those photos I took in my nephews barn, (shown below). I've used 100% rag paper for each of five sections, with a narrow strip of cotton mounted silk in between. I painted the rag paper with silk paints, then cut through for the reflections, with a strip of cotton mouted silk behind. I felt that the white was too stark, so also painted these strips with silk paint. Something still isn't right though, and I just can't seem to resolve it. Maybe in a few weeks a fresh eye will spot the problem......fingers crossed!



My husband has been decorating the smallest room, and the bathroom. I chose the colours for these two rooms, but the colour I picked for the loo, which I think is a rather lovely shade of teal, my husband thinks is too dark! I've had to convince him that once I've accessorised it, it will be an oasis of calm and beauty!! I decided to make some small textile art pieces to frame in white, and the first three are now finished and ready to hang. I made the mistake of framing them before taking photos, so you may be able to notice my reflection in a couple of them!




Finally, I've also been working on some ideas for journal quilts, and the next four are to be in shades of yellow. I think that yellow can be quite a difficult colour, so  my idea for May, may be based on the top sketch below! Watch this space, and happy stitching/art making, and thankyou for reading!

8 comments:

  1. It's always a joy to see your work. It's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful work Cath. I am very impressed.x when are you coming to visit my studio then? haxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon I hope Lynda! it will have to be either a Friday, or during half term. Email me your studio address, and mobile number if you can. xx

      Delete
  3. The textile pieces for your bathroom are very pretty and with white frames will look good with teal.

    The panel is lovely and I hope you get inspiration when you get it back out. A fresh eye and a bit of sub-conscious mulling over usually works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work and I love the colours for your loo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tessa, just hope hubby gets to like it too!

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!