A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Wednesday 28 December 2011

December's JQ, a mermaid and an e-reader (Kindle) cover.

December's JQ is called Button Moon. I have used self dyed fabric, overlaid with sheers, and free motion machine stitching. The tree is knobbly knitting wool couched down with yet more free stitch, and the moon is a clear button, covered with white net and a cream sheer,, held down with silver stitching. I've finished the piece with some clear beads for the appearing stars in a sunset sky.

This little mermaid was an extra present for my six year old grandaughter at Christmas. I had recently made her a pair of curtains for her newly decorated bedroom, and with the leftovers, I had enough for a small bed quilt, and a scrap for the tail of this mermaid. She was fun to make, and very well received on Christmas morning.



I was very pleasantly surprised on Christmas morning myself, because my husband gave me an e-reader, (Kindle) so ofcourse, I've just had to make a protective cover for it. I decided that it needed to be quite rigid, rather than soft and floppy, so used some medium weight pelmet viline, Decovil from here. It has a sticky side, so I ironed on a strip of some hand painted fabric that I made a few months ago.



As you can see above, I free motion machine embroidered all over the surface in green and pink thread, filling in some areas for added texture. I then placed two linings onto the back, rounded off the corners at one end, and then zig-zagged around the edge. I folded up the front to fit the Kindle, and then stitched and zig-zagged the edges together, I've used a small square of velcro for fastening.




I hope you've enjoyed this post, I haven't given any measurements, because it's all really  very obvious and easy to make this pouch to fit. This is also my first attempt at downloading a short video, so fingers crossed it all works for those of you who choose to watch.

Happy stitching everyone, and a very Happy, Peaceful New Year to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Would love to make one of these,yours is so pretty. I don't have a Kindle but know someone who has! Not sure if they are all the same size but have no idea on size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely JQ - is that the last one now? The kindle cover fabric is very attractive and no one would know it was your first video download. Good idea to use pelmet vilene to give it some body.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..clever lady..love the cover and the video..well donexxx Happy New Yearx
    ps. agree with maggie,about not knowing it wa your first videoxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about your publication: there is no heart like a steel building subway or Internet access, do not advertise your QR code in one place. Your code is not connected to the Internet is almost worthless.

    qr code generator

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!