A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Monday 31 May 2010

A new piece inspired by the Hundertwasser toilets in Kawakawa N.Z.

                                                                                                      
This is my latest quilt inspired by the Hundertwasser toilets. It measures just over 12"x15", so not that large really, but I thoroughly enjoyed cutting up pieces of fabric and then fitting them together into what I considered a pleasing composition. I didn't really have much of an idea of what I was going to do when I started, but decided to use greens on a black background, and dark blue on white. I quite enjoy working like this, as I often find a more spontaneous approach stops me from being too precise and fiddly! Having put the background together, I decided that it reminded me of a fish/lily pond, so added the simple fish, lily and lily pad shapes. It is all raw edged applique and the shapes have been bonded and stitched down onto the background fabric. The quilt sandwich was then put together, and I quilted through all three layers in between the mosaic shapes. The backing wraps onto the front edges to bind them.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely piece. Who'd have thought a toilet could be so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggi. Yes, I know what you mean, it does feel odd to keep on about being inspired by some toilets, just goes to show though eh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning piece! I especially love those colours. Ros

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!