A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Latest Developments of an Original Idea.


This is something I've been working on during my Tuesday art class.


I've been developing an idea from a piece of artwork that I made some time ago, and if you regularly follow my blog, you may remember it as you scroll down.


These photos show areas I have isolated from the larger image at the top.


I can see shapes that remind me of beach huts and deck chairs! Maybe a bit of wishful thinking for summer to hurry up and arrive!



Below are photos of what I did to arrive at the images and ideas above, which were achieved by making a rubbing from part of the cutout areas below.



I traced off the lines and shapes from the original piece, (below), and then reflected them to make a repeat. This elongated everything, which I folded into a concertina book, after I had cut away some of the 'window' shapes.


I placed some hand painted papers behind the pierced areas, and the light from the window behind created some interesting shadows.


My version of Eastbourne Pier, using the original image underneath to form the pier supports.




Above, the image printed onto cotton fabric to cover a small book, and below the original image that I painted with acrylic paint. I wonder where else this simple image will take me?



I know this all sounds a bit upside down, but hopefully you get the idea! My next post will be a round up of how our Gokotta exhibition has gone. We take it down this week, so watch this space for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!