A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday 2 March 2017

Art Classes.




At the moment, I am enjoying two separate art classes, both with different tutors, and in different locations. One is about developing sketchbook ideas, and the other is a mixed media abstract landscape class. Strangely, they are both complementing each other, and so I am finding that I can use the techniques from each with the other! Above, you can see how I am developing some ideas based on the work of Rosalie Gascoigne. We started out with a mind map, which we then referred to for ideas which we have been developing in the sketchbook class. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of how I started with this, but it is now quite different from my original collaged page. There are so many layers involved, but it is these layers that give a depth and richness to the work so far.


The third photo above is showing one of the results from my mixed media abstract landscape class. Our starting point, or inspiration was rock formations. The paper I used was first painted in stripes with subtle variations in colour, and on paper of varying textures. This was then torn to give the shapes you can see, and pasted down onto a prepainted piece of mountboard. 

I am hoping that my next step will be to finally print one of my finished pieces onto cloth, which I can then enrich with stitch. All very exciting, and I am looking forward to seeing how these classes help me to develope further inspiration for my textiles.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!