A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 31 October 2015

Rust and Colour



I made a very small book from a sheet of A4 paper that I had previously rusted and embossed with a large sycamore leaf.


Some pages had less rusty marks, so I tore and stuck down some rusted tissue paper.


Lastly, I hand stitched a continuous line around the outline of the leaf, which covered most of the A4 sheet. This gave me small stitched sections on the pages of the mini book. 


You can see where the embossed leaf left marks from the leaf veining, adding some extra interest and texture.


I also added little snippets of rusted cartridge paper on a couple of pages.





The cover, below, with the title! You can see the size compared with my thumb.....tiny!



I've also been enjoying making some mono prints with my Gelli plate, and then finishing them off with some sketchy detail using my Inktense pencils. Let me know what you think.


Thanks for your company if you've managed to read this far, and hope you're enjoying Halloween.




4 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting teqnique. Beautifully executed. Your gelli
    plate prints are facinating I would never have thought of drawing in to them. I always visit your blog and leave inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morag, I think it's great to be able to visit so many wonderful Blogs and come away fired up with enthusiasm.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!