A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Saturday 21 February 2015

Altered Books, (but what are they for?)




A few more Gelli prints that I made today. Such fun, I just love doing them and so far all I've really used them for is to cover the pages of some very small, 9cm square, board books for children. You can see one below.



I print on photocopy paper, and then give the prints a coat of acrylic wax. This makes the paper a bit stronger, but reasonably easy to stick down onto these pages.




This one (above), was printed on a heavier 100% rag paper, but a bit more difficult to stick down.


This little book was my first, and I decided to add some pages of parchment paper in between the board pages. I felt that the book needed to be used in some way, otherwise what are they for?


It was a bit fiddly adding the extra pages, so I didn't do it for the next two.








Now, although I really enjoy making these little altered books, I do have a problem with trying to decide what they are for! I'm a rather practical sort of person, and everything needs to have a use in my eyes. I was recently told that they should be looked upon as pieces of art in themselves, and I really like that idea, but somehow, I still can't get the thought out of my head that a book is for reading, or for telling a story, or for giving information. I'm working on it though!


Finally, I have also been making paper beads. Quite easy, and lots of fun, and they are great to use for other arty projects.



Fingers crossed the beads remain stuck on!!

Thanks for joining me yet again.





9 comments:

  1. Fantastic design on the first one pictured,,, lovely colours. Paper beads are very clever,, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beware! Paper beads can become addictive!

    And just 'relax' into the altered books. You might find that they speak to you in some way. I know what you mean but now my relationship with such things has changed and I enjoy them for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images Cath. Please bring your small books on Tuesday? I'm sure your alerted books both provide information and tell a story in their own beautiful, subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies, I will take your advice about 'relaxing' into these altered books Hilary, and also about the beads! Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday Karen, and I'll try and remember to bring the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same as you Cath, so I looked at these little beauties for a while and then - light bulb moment - how about you leave a clear space at the bottom of each page for people to write on, just one of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an idea to think about Jan, thank you! That, or every other page blank for writing on, but then I suppose it would need to be a larger book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the books and they are a great size for jotting down quick sketches or ideas if they have sone writing space. Lovely beads too. If the beads don't stay stuck on you could always war them on with wire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, not suggesting that there should be conflict. It should have read 'wrap them on with wire'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect idea for attaching the beads, thanks Maggi. Don't know why I didn't think of it before!

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!