Making the most of this lovely recent sunshine, I made a few sunprints yesterday. Not sure yet what I'll do with them, but they can always keep for a rainy day!
Yesterday I made the above still life using scraps of cloth for the background which I knocked back with some white gesso. I free machine stitched the background in black thread, to give a sketchy sort of interior looking out from a window into a garden beyond. The flowers and fruit were also cut from scraps, and appliqued down and secured with raw edge free stitching in dark grey.
Today, and still in a 'scrappy' mood, I dug out my moth collograph that I made a few months ago which led to this little cloth book here. I made two more scrappy backgrounds in the same way as for the still life, and printed one moth directly onto the background, and after printing the second onto some gesso painted fabric, cut it out and appliqued it down onto the second background. Again, I dug out a previously appliqued moth in white, and just needed to add some extra fabric to this, to bring it up to the same size as the two above.
The gesso gives the fabric stability for the free machine stitch, and is also then ideal for adding extra colour with my Karisma pencils. I've included a photo of the backs of these moth pieces, below, because I have to say that I quite like the effect of the stitching on the plain backing fabric.
Finally, above is my June Journal Quilt, and in keeping with last months, this one is called 'Something New', and is a free machine sketch of our daughter in her wedding dress that I took from one of the wedding photos. I made this on a patchwork of cream and white fabrics.
I have an idea for 'Something Blue' for my August JQ, but am at a bit of a loss for next months 'Something Borrowed'!!
Hopefully, inspiration will strike from somewhere soon, (without knocking me out though), so watch this space to see what materialises! ;)