A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 6 April 2014

Beginning with flour and water!






Below is the piece of cotton fabric that I created from a flour and water paste experiment made previously, Here. After painting it with acrylic paint, I cut it in half today and appliqued a few yellow cotton spots and some yellow net over the surface before quilting heavily with shades of blue, green and yellow viscose thread. They are the same size as the two from yesterdays post, 61/2" square, so quite small. I do enjoy working on smaller pieces, they feel more manageable for the detail that I like to add, and of course, they don't take as long to make! Well, not usually anyway.


Two posts in two days!! Somehow, I think there may be a bit more of a break before my next one, but thanks for reading, and have a good week!



6 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous Cath. I can't access the page about what you did with flour and water though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, not sure why the link isn't working for you, I'll have a look and see if I can fix it Tessa. Pleased you like them though.

      Delete
    2. I've copied and pasted my process for you here Tessa.

      Finally, this is a bit of an experiment really. I mixed up a flour and water paste, then spread it evenly over the surface of yet some more old cotton sheeting. I drew some random patterns into it with a fork and a stick. When the paste had dried, I crackled the surface up a bit, before covering the whole lot with some black fabric paint. I'm now going to wait for about a week for the paint to 'cure', and then I;ll wash out the dried paste. I'm hoping for a sort of batik effect.

      Delete
  2. I love the colours and the movement in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie and thanks Maggi. I've really enjoyed stitching these small quilts.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!