A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday 7 February 2013

A Gift.





The wrap for a gardening art journal that I have made for my daughter Emily in New Zealand.


The paper I've used for the journal in the making. Mine is at the top of the photo, it was made during a 'fun arty' day with three other friends. Both sides of the giant sheets were covered with marks in black ink, applied with a wide selection of  tools including brushes, cardboard, sponges and twigs!


Front Cover

 My daughter is heavily into gardening, so I chose that as my theme for this book. I selected some quotes that were relevant, and also put in some magazine cuttings of different plants. 



The inside of the wrap is lined with some gorgeous hand dyed fabric purchased from Maggi, and I stitched in this little machine embroidered daisy that I made a couple of years ago, as a pocket to hold seed packets.



I inserted a very small book that I also made, with a hand stitched wrap. I named it 'garden notes', so my daughter can keep track of all things gardening!



I'm showing a small selection of the pages where I have also inserted some of my own art work, all with a flowery flavour.


There are quite a few pages with not much added, so that Emily can add her own magazine cuttings and notes.



The back of the book.



And finally my February JQ. I used the photo from my January JQ to experiment with. In the edit section of my camera phone, I selected 'mirror', which gave me the arrangement you see above, then changed the colours to 'vintage'. I printed the results onto some silk organza, twice, and cut them to produce a piece 12"x8". The quilting is in silver metallic thread.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my latest creations, I have certainly enjoyed producing them, and thanks very much for reading my blog!

15 comments:

  1. I love the journal and I'm sure your daughter will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill, I only posted it last Saturday, and she has received it already!! Half way round the world in five days, pretty good going eh, and yes, she does love it.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely thing to make for your dear daughter. It's so beautiful Cath and full of emotion. Love the way you have made your journal quilt. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene, yes, some of the quotes I used were a bit emotional, but they were all heart felt!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful journal Cath. I need to crack on with a journal that should have been a Christmas present but events happened that stopped me doing it. Mind you I won't get started until after my week away in Pembrokeshire! I'm sure I will find plenty of inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di, yes Pembrokeshire will give you so much inspiration, have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  4. I love the journal - what a lovely idea. My friend Fee has a birthday soon - hmmmm!!

    And loving the little JQ. Got to crack on with mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, and yes, a handmade journal would make a lovely birthday present.

      Delete
  5. wonderful journal. your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous book Cath. Your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely journal,, and great jq.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a lovely present for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!