A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Friday 25 January 2013

Patterns, Landscape and Frost!

My Journal Quilt for January

This year the format is landscape, 12 "x 8" and a theme of our own choosing. I have decided on 'Patterns in the Landscape'. After I'd submitted my choice, I had second thoughts because I wondered if the word 'landscape', would have been better described as 'environment'  Then I found that the word 'patterns' was also causing more doubts about my choice, so I ended up 'googling' it for more clarification!  We have to stick to this theme for the 12 months, but as it should be a challenge, I have decided to stay with my original theme title. However, there has been a positive outcome to all these doubts because Google came up with the book title, 'Patterns in the Landscape' by Phillip Hughes. I've actually ended up ordering this book, because it looks fascinating, and is by an artist that is unknown to me, so now I shall be looking out for the postman with eager eyes!! 

I painted the hand dyed fabric first with a wash of watery acrylic paint, sketched in the background trees with Karisma pencils, machine couched the seed heads in the foreground with white knitting wool, and added the frosted grasses with white gesso. See below for the inspiration for this quilt.


Drawing/painting (above), made on my Tablet with Sketchbook Pro, from the photograph that I took a few weeks ago (below), after a heavy frost.





On the same day, I also took the photo below of some frosted leaves, and then made the sketch above on my Tablet.


Well, thanks for reading this far and wherever you may be in the world, I wish you a very happy and creative filled weekend.

A


10 comments:

  1. Love your theme Cath and your journal looks gorgeous - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Irene and Caz, it,s always lovely to read your comments.

      Delete
  3. Love your work, Cath!Hope to see more beautiful landscapes in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ariane Mariane, I will do my best! Looking forward to making them.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops! Sorry Maggi, that was a complete mistake, I was trying to delete this reply box, but it also deleted your lovely comment! sincere apologies.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my discussion regarding the journal quilts and just to let you know, I have signed up!!

    Right - off to get started!

    Hilary

    ps found your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh brilliant Hilary, I'm sure you won't regret it. I've just paid a visit to your blog too, you have some really lovely work, so I shall look forward to visiting it on a regular basis.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!