A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 1 April 2012

April Journal Quilt. Flavoured with a pinch of Picasso ll.

Again, I have used khadi paper for this portrait. I sprayed a combination of red, orange and pink silk paint onto the surface which I had previously scrunched up. The self portrait was drawn in front of a mirror, and I tried very hard not to look down at what my pencil was doing! I then stitched through the drawing from the back of the khadi paper, and then couched down black knitting wool with free motion zig zag stitch from the front. I quilted the remainder of the surfaces with orange thread, and used Markal sticks to colour the eyes, mouth and earings. I rubbed a Markal blender over the face and neck before finishing with a binding. I was rather dismayed however, when my husband saw it and recognised it straight away as being me, because after finishing it, I had thought, 'well thank goodness I don't really look like that!!!!!' What an April Fool I must be eh!?

Be Happy, until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Great Cath. really effective and the binding sets it off well. Methinks he should learn a little tact!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its wonderful. I agree with Maggi the binding brings it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cath whoever she is, she's really looking in the mirror and not at the paper.
    These portraits are such fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!