This is a bit of an experiment in mixed media, which started off as a black and white photocopy of a watercolour painting I did a couple of years ago. I folded the copy in half, and used the top half during a day spent with some friends from the KAIROS group I belong to. I didn't have a particular idea of what I was going to do, but just played around with odd bits of paper that I scrunched up, smoothed out, tore into rough leaf shapes and stitched onto the photocopy. I continued like this, also adding bits of sheer fabric, stitching or sticking the pieces down, and then drawing into some of them with a black pen and some crayons. Later, when I was at home, I decided to cover the whole sheet with some watery white paint. This gave the effect of a foggy day, and the leaf shapes took on the look of trees in the foreground. I cut up yet more bits of paper, this time in tall straight shapes to look a bit like buildings on the horizon. I also added some scraps of lace which reminded me of clouds, and sketched a bit more with my black pen. It certainly isn't a great piece of art, but I enjoyed the spontaneous aspect of the process, and it was fun!
Sunday, 24 July 2011
Wednesday, 20 July 2011
A few more additions to my small book of Fantasy Beetles! I don't know what is giving me more fun, the sketching and stitching of these weird creepy crawlies, or making up their names!
Above and below are two samples that I have altered with acrylic and fabric paint. The bottom one started out as a photograph I took of a lobster pot on the beach at Ferring, then manipulated in photoshop, printed onto some cotton fabric, then added the paint. The piece above was taken from a length of fabric that I had breakdown printed in a teal colour, and have also overpainted in acrylic/fabric paint. Not sure what I'm going to do next, but I'll post more pics when I've finished with them.
Friday, 8 July 2011
This piece above is also partly inspired by some cloth that I snow dyed last winter. Well, we did have rather a lot of the stuff, so I thought I'd have a go. I have just used the one piece on this occasion, and I've relied on some lines sketched in with a water soluble crayon, the edges softened with a wet paintbrush, and then mainly free motion machine stitching with some hand stitch, (seeding) to finish.
Below are some closeups of different areas.