A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday, 9 June 2011

When in doubt, PLAY!!

 I've not been feeling very inspired lately, I'm really struggling with how to move forward, so decided to have a day of playing with my fabric paints instead!

I didn't want all the fuss of dyeing, I wasn't in the mood for all the effort involved in that, so just tore up a few small pieces of white cotton, and had some fun.

I spread the paint onto a flat plastic tray, and then made marks into it with a variety of objects. I used some of the cotton fabric dry, and some I dampened down. With the piece on the left here, I placed elastic bands down onto the paint first, and then pressed the fabric down on top. When it was dry, I used silk paint to fill in the white areas.





The photo above is one that I took last week by the River Mole near Leatherhead in Surrey. I'm rather pleased with this, and may try to feel inspired enough to make a small piece of textile art from it. If there were lilly pads on the water, it could almost pass as a Monet!