A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Thursday 9 June 2011

When in doubt, PLAY!!

 I've not been feeling very inspired lately, I'm really struggling with how to move forward, so decided to have a day of playing with my fabric paints instead!

I didn't want all the fuss of dyeing, I wasn't in the mood for all the effort involved in that, so just tore up a few small pieces of white cotton, and had some fun.

I spread the paint onto a flat plastic tray, and then made marks into it with a variety of objects. I used some of the cotton fabric dry, and some I dampened down. With the piece on the left here, I placed elastic bands down onto the paint first, and then pressed the fabric down on top. When it was dry, I used silk paint to fill in the white areas.





The photo above is one that I took last week by the River Mole near Leatherhead in Surrey. I'm rather pleased with this, and may try to feel inspired enough to make a small piece of textile art from it. If there were lilly pads on the water, it could almost pass as a Monet!

6 comments:

  1. You've got some very interesting marks and shapes using that method Cath. It's always good to play when your muse has decided to take a vacation :) Your photograph of the river has a good range of tone and texture, I hope it fires up your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like that fabric.
    Would love to be at that river. It looks so peaceful.
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, both your fabric and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's horrible when you feel like that, but at least you didn't let it get you right down and the resulting fabric is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. l know just how you feel..l am like that at the moment. Just play is often the way to gox love your photoxlynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric looks great, love the bright blue color, hopfully you will find inspiration by looking at them. The picture you took of the little brigde and the river inspire me, looks like a wonderful place to be. Hugs from Moia

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!